September 3, 2018
Dear NYABE Members,
On behalf of the New York chapter of the National Association for Business Economics I welcome you to join us for an exciting 2018-2019 season. NYABE is a non-profit organization that remains one of the preeminent forums for economists to gather in discussion of current issues impacting the US and global economy. Our club consists of not only practicing and retired economists in a broad range of organizations, including educational, governmental, not-for-profit organizations and financial firms, but also a wide variety of financial professionals in money management and the financial services industries.
We strive to attract some of the world's outstanding economists and economic thought leaders as speakers. Recent speakers have included Peterson Institute Fellow and former Chief Economist at the IMF Olivier Blanchard, Economist, Harvard Professor and author ( This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly ) Carmen Reinhart, Philadelphia Fed President Patrick Harker, General Motors Chief Economist Mustafa Mohataren and SVP of the Dallas Fed Mine Yucel.
Starting with former Chairman of the Federal Reserve Paul Volcker in 1973, and stretching to Carmen Reinhart in 2017, the William F. Butler Award is presented annually to a distinguished business economist to honor leadership in the field of business economics. This year, on November 29th, we are honored to present this award to Dr. Lawrence H. Summers. Dr. Summers will speak on November 29th at the Cornell Club and we hope you will join us.
In addition, we already have a great line-up of speakers for this upcoming season including:
· Paul Krugman, columnist and Nobel Prize winning Economist on September 18th.
· A Trade Panel discussion featuring Dr. Soumaya Keynes and Dr. Chad Bown of the Petersen Institute on October 11th.
· Dr. Lawrence H. Summers, Former Treasury Secretary, Professor and President Emeritus at Harvard University will be presented with the Butler Award on November 29.
· Dr. Mary C. Daly of the San Francisco Fed on February 26.
· Charles Evans, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago on April 15.
· Our annual forecasters’ luncheon in January.
…And more events still in the planning stages.
You can renew your membership for the upcoming year at our website Our NYABE Website
Please take a moment to consider membership as well as joining us for some of this year’s programs.
NYABE President, 2018-2019
September 18, 2018 (Tue)
October 11, 2018 (Thu)
November 29, 2018 (Thu)
April 15, 2019 (Mon)